Friday 14 June 2013

More on mihi

Here's another mihi simpler in format but longer in your genealogical information. it's much the same as the first one but without the 'toku' in each line.

Ko Tainui toku te waka.....Tainui is (ko) my canoe.
Ko Pirongia te maunga....Pirongia is my mountain.
Ko Nakuawhia te awa....Nakuawhia is my river.
Ko Waipa te whenua....Waipa are my lands.
Ko Hikairo te iwi....Hikairo is my tribe.
Ko Hikairo te ragatira....Hikairo is my (ancestral) chief (after which the tribe is named).
Ko Purekireki te marae....Purekireki is my marae.
Ko Peter McGruther Pere te kaumatua....P.M. (Mac) Bell is my Elder.
Ko Rawhiri Pere te ingoa...David Bell (your own name) is my name.

Here's some informal mihi (greetings) and responses

Kia ora....Hello...(kee-a ora)
Tena koe...Hello you (one person)...(ten 'aa' quay)...'aa' meaning hold it longer.
Tena korua...Hello you (two people)...(Ten aa ko roo a)
Tena koutou...Hello to you (three or more)
Tena koutou katoa...hello to the whole damn lot of you and too bad if my Maori is poor at least I'm trying!

Common greeting:

Kei te pehea koe?.... How are you?

Responses:

Kei te pai ahau...Good (kei te pai) ahau (me or I)
Ka nui te ora...Big (ka nui) te ora (peace/calmness)...all is calm.
Me Koe...And you?

Farewells

Haere ra...goodbye to someone leaving (Hay eddy ra)...the 'r' has a slight roll to it)
E Noho ra...goodbye someone staying.

So on this note it's e noho ra from me.






No comments:

Post a Comment